Friday, January 8, 2010

Mrs. Root's Snickerdoodles

I have been chatting back and forth with Kady at http://stoneyhillcabin.blogspot.com. She was talking about the pressure she felt having to keep up with all of the holiday baking that her Aunt had done in the past. She mentioned that she will be only making 3 types of cookies next Christmas. I was in the same position a couple of years ago, and I started only to make 4 types of cookies each year, Spritz, Russian Tea Cakes, Sugar Cutouts, and Snickerdoodles. I was explaining to Kady that Snickerdoodles are my signature cookie. I also mentioned to her that I use Mrs. Root's recipe. I have tried a dozen or so recipes, and I always come back to Mrs. Root's. Who is Mrs. Root? She was a member of the church I grew up in , down in Southern California. She was a wonderful seamstress, cook and baker. She raised 4 kids, and her husband owned his own towing service/vw repair business. Mr. Root was a deacon in our church, and Mrs. Root was my Sunday School teacher for many, many years. She also has a beautiful singing voice. But the one thing that stood out for her was her beautiful Red hair! Our college/career group was planning a trip to Hawaii to participate in the Waikiki Beach ministries, and for a fundraiser, we put together a church cookbook and sold them. I proudly still have mine today and use it often. Anyway, enough rambling. I told Kady I would share Mrs. Root's recipe on my blog, so here you go. I hope you enjoy them as much as my family and I do. I always double the batch!

Snickerdoodles
Cream 1 cup of soft shortening with 1 1/2 cups of sugar, add 2 eggs, 2 3/4 cups flour, 2 tsp cream of tartar, 1 tsp of baking soda, 1 tsp salt. Mix together, pinch off balls. Have ready 2 tsp sugar, 3 tsp cinnamon mixed together. Roll ball into cinnamon mixture and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Love your posts - I am a lurker,,but have to ask - the recipe - soft shortening = crisco? or butter/margarine?

    Thanks -

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Pam,
    I was confused by getting a response about snickerdoodles until I read your post just now-(The cookies look delicious by the way) I haven't been a lurker for quite awhile so it appears that there is more than one Anna-LOL if you click on her name perhaps you will get an email address for her. Hopefully she has her settings so that you can respond to her question. Thanks for the recipe- I will have to try them when I get a chance to bake.

    Thanks for the lovely note - it was nice to catch up- hope the girls at Bearpaws were up to their usual fun times today.
    I took the ornaments off the tree after I wrote to you- the tree needs to go out to the garbage so that it can be taken for recycling -the city uses them for mulch.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum , looks like a great recipe , thanks !

    ReplyDelete