Friday, January 8, 2010

A Book to Read

While reading through MaryJanes Farm, I came across an article that somewhat reviewed a book. Now, I am not a big reader, only because my eyes give out on me, (I have old eyes!). I have to make a choice, stitch or read, and well, those who know me know which one I choose, stitch! Anyway, this book looked interesting, so I thought what the heck. I went online to the library website for Sac County, and located the book at the EG Library. The name of the book is "Not Buying It, My Year Without Shopping", by Judith Levine. The book has been out for a couple of years, and I remember hearing her interviewed on the Today show a few years back. She and her husband made a decision to try this experiment of not buy anything except bare essentials, food that cannot be grown or made from scratch, food and medicine for their cat that had diabetes, tp-not the expensive stuff either! So-o-o, I went to the library and checked out the book. I have only read about 30 pages, but so far, I am really intrigued with it! Now, about the library. How long has it been since anyone has been to their local library? For me, it has been about 7-8 months. Hubby and I use to go every Monday night, before dinner. Of course, that is when our son, (who is a month away from turning 23!) was a child. His school asked the families to sign up for 1 night of no tv, dedicated to reading as a family. You could each read a book silently, but they wanted the kids to read 20 minutes, and out loud, so of course, we did sign up. Hubby was a little concern about his football game being missed, but we would change the night to Tuesday, just during football season, then back to Monday. It was a good way of starting off the week. Let me tell you, libraries has changed! Yes their still are nice, soft spoken people to help you, but you check your book out yourself! It is all by computers! It was kind of trippy for me, I felt out of place. The library was packed, I was in the "adult" section upstairs, only because they separate the children from the adults, not for the reason you might be thinking, (Kim, this includes you!!!) I looked around, and I finally found someone who worked there and asked for help. She looked a little surprised at me, until I explained to her I was from Galt, and she said, oh, they are changing the libraries one at a time. Oh-h-h! So off I go with my book. I also forgot about the smell of books in the library. It's not a bad smell, but a good smell. Well, I need to go to work, but I will let you know more about the book as I read more of it. Have a great Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Neat trip to the library and I am looking forward to hearing you share about it. Looking forward to seeing you in class tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete